And now time for an important Furniture Flip Update… (Insert news bulletin soundtrack here.) Last month, in a Murals by Marcy video tutorial, you saw me take an old piece of furniture that had been sitting out in the elements, and had the water damage to prove it…and I turned it into this darling dresser. It’s now pretty in pink with black piping and a striped top, accented by pink crystal knobs. Well, I’m happy to report, it’s SOLD.
I almost didn’t want to sell it, it came out so cute. But, it went to someone who was decorating a baby nursery, and if I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times…NOTHING makes me happier than knowing my work is going into a baby nursery or child’s room.
Before I tell you how much it sold for, let me remind you of what it looked like when I got it. The side legs were completely rotted, there was no back, it had cardboard for a bottom, and it was missing every knob and drawer handle. In fact, do me a favor and pay attention to where the knobs and handles went before. They were mismatched, and on the top drawer they were completely off center!
In short, it was a disaster! But it was free, so the price was right. And being that I really didn’t NEED it, it was the perfect project to take on as a furniture flip. I ended up spending $55 in materials. If you check out the video below, you’ll see the break down. And it took about 23 solid hours of work time spread out over the course of several days. The sides had to be completely replaced, the whole thing ended up having to be taken apart piece by piece, and my husband had to come to my rescue when I realized the new pieces I cut required routing. What do I know about ROUTING? I don’t even know if I’m spelling it right! Patching up the holes, sanding and painting, now THAT is more my speed.
In the end, I was super happy with the way it turned out. I figured I could turn around and sell it for about $150, I just needed to decide WHERE. I’ve been to boutiques where unique pieces like this go for well over $200. So I thought maybe if I took it to a consignment shop and they sold it for $200, they’d keep $50, I would take $150 and we would all be happy. Instead, the consignment shop closest to me wanted to take 50% of the sale price! Yeah, NO. That was definitely not going to work! So, I ended up posting it on Craigslist. I listed it for $175 dollars, just in case someone would try to negotiate down. It got quite a bit of interest. And in the end, I not only got the full $175 for it, it went to the perfect home…where the mom was fixing up a nursery for her baby girl. I asked her to send me photos of the nursery when it’s all done, but I can almost picture it in my mind. I’m calling this furniture flip a success!
If you want to see the transformation from start to finish, click on the video tutorial below:
No comments yet.